mdadm and udev rules issue with today's rawhide

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 20 21:03:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:53:49 -0800,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 13:05 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I updated to today's rawhide and then reboot's didn't complete until after
> > I removed /etc/udev/rules.d/70-mdadm-assemble.rules .
> > That's odd because udev wasn't updated today, though mdadm was. But
> > the above rules are part of the udev package.
> > I got warning messages doing the udev parts of the boot process that 3 of
> > the arrays were already running.
> > The device names for the arrays were different than they had been before
> > removing the rules file. So maybe the problem was that things were getting
> > done twice and removing either file would have worked.
>
> There was a thread on -devel, with the subject 'Heads up:
> mdadm-3.0-0.devel2.1.fc11 added to f11', which seems like it might be
> relevant here. Have you read it?

Yeah, that's what tipped me off where to try to fix things first.
However it does seem to be broken today with udev-137-4.fc11.x86_64 and
mdadm-3.0-0.devel2.2.fc11.x86_64 installed. The rules files were both owned
by the packages, so it isn't the case of an orphaned rule file left behind
after an update.

I'll go back through the thread again though.