Audacity with Fedora 11 development

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:30:31 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Michael Schwendt
> <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:57:59 -0800, Tom wrote:
>>
>>> [Any idea why it seems to be "confabulating" ID3 tags on export?  I
>>> believe they are actually there, but id3info/id3v2 says no tags....]
>>
>> They get written ("hexdump -C filename|less") as ID3v2 via libid3tag, but
>> it seems Audacity does something that is incompatible with other ID3
>> implementations - thanks to a standard that is none yet [1]. One can find
>> a couple of earlier topics (e.g. in the Audacity Forum). Taglib can read
>> them as tested with Audacious. id3info/id3v2 probably reject all tags
>> after running into something they cannot parse. The Audacity source code
>> contains a couple of hacks for compatibility with iTunes and "some apps",
>> which cause side-effects with other apps. ;-)
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3v2#Criticism
>>

> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Would be nice if rhythmbox could "see" audacity's tags....  It
> currently doesn't :-(
>
> tom
>
> [I'm having no problems with audacity-1.3.7-0.2.beta.fc11.x86_64, so
> I'll continue to use it.  I'll report any issues I find.]
> --

I found a "workaround" for the tags (using your suggestion of 'taglib')...

The following sequence seems to "fix" the tags produced by audacity,
making them "understood" by id3info/id3v2/rhythmbox:

taginfo FileFromAudacity >/tmp/tag
source /tmp/tag
id3v2 -a "$ARTIST" -t "$TITLE" -g "$GENRE" "$FILE"

[Of course, some quoting of the tag info is needed if there are
quotes/etc. in the text. And more tags could be used....]

Some code changes would probably "fix" this, but do you think this is
an issue with audacity (or the libraries it calls) or "the rest of the
world"?  Would like to BZ this to keep track of it.  Any thoughts
where?

tom
--
Tom London