BugZappers

Brennan Ashton bashton at brennanashton.com
Mon Feb 23 20:28:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 11:21 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>> Lalit Dhiri said the following on 02/23/2009 06:30 AM Pacific Time:
>> > Good afternoon all,
>> >
>> > I am interested in singing up for the BugZappers system https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
>> >
>> > Would anyone who is a current member or otherwise be able to confirm if it is acceptable to do tests / triage using a Live USB stick or in some cases use eg VirtualBox as I do not have a spare computer I could setup?
>> >

>> Absolutely!  We are glad that you want to help with what you have.
>>
>> There has been some criticism of people not using bare metal in the
>> past, but for the most part it should not matter.  It really depends on
>> the component you are testing or types of bugs you are trying to
>> reproduce.  I'd probably stay away from investigating kernel bugs in a
>> virtual instance, but for most applications or utilities it should be
>> fine.  Maybe others agree or disagree?
>>
>> Please come to our meeting tomorrow if you'd like to get more involved.
>>   Details in a separate email.
>
> I'd add that triaging work doesn't really necessarily involve attempting
> to reproduce the bugs all the time, in any case. At least, that's how I
> interpret it, and I can't find any requirement for triagers to try and
> reproduce the reports they are triaging in the Fedora policies.
> --
> Adam Williamson

Adam,

That is more of a judgement call, when I push bugs to ASSIGNED, I like
to make sure that all the necessary info to debug is there.  Some
cases all of it is there and I just change status, others will not
include a trace or log that will be needed.  In those cases if I have
the necessary hardware, I will try to reproduce the bug and post them.

--Brennan Ashton