clock riddle

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Feb 23 22:47:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:04:51PM -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought so too but this is not the case.  You are correct if you
> > are trying to modify these values through
> > 'System->Administration->Date&Time' but this is not the only way to
> > do it and you need only your password for the first time and no
> > password at all after that once you are on a desktop.
> >
> >> Has this changed in F11?
> >
> > No, this did not change in F11.  The problem goes way back.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on with your system, but on mine (F-10),
> when I actually try to set the time, I am prompted for the
> administrator password.

How you are trying to set time?   As I wrote above - if through
'System->Administration->Date&Time' than _that_ will ask you for a
root password.  But it turns out that this is not the only way you
can set clock from your desktop.

> The default PolicyKit policies are working
> fine here.

Could you, please, post an output from the following shell script:

for a in settimezone settime configurehwclock ; do
    polkit-action --action org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.$a
done

The only interesting parts are really default_active.  If that says
"auth_self_keep_always", which is a "factory default", then you do
need a root password for these changes but you have to do them
differently than you tried.

I guess that I should walk through the whole output of
'polkit-action' and see what else interesting I can find there.

    Michal