clock riddle

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 23:08:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 15:57 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:13:03PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > For me (system is F10, updated to current Rawhide) it asks for user
> > password.
>
> Again, what
>
> for a in settimezone settime configurehwclock ; do
>     polkit-action --action org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.$a
> done
>
> has to say?
>
> Due to a default "auth_self_keep_always" once you allowed yourself
> such changes modyfing defaults will not remove those authorizations.
> 'polkit-auth' should be used although you can likely just remove
> newly created files from /var/lib/PolicyKit/.

What exactly are we trying to establish here ?
Is that another riddle ?
If you want to know the default policies, just
open /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.policy
and you will find that it is indeed

  <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
  <allow_active>auth_self_keep_always</allow_active>