64 bit Firefox & Flash

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Feb 24 00:53:51 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Do many users have a use for flash with no video/audio support, zero
> possibility of video/audio support, and generally poor compatibility
> otherwise?

With the appropriate GStreamer plugins from RPM Fusion, several video and
audio stuff actually works. Not all though.

I agree about the poor compatibility, I'm not all that happy with it. Still,
it's the only Free Software Flash solution which works with Konqueror,
which is why I picked the Fedora package up when it got orphaned. (There's
swfdec, but that still doesn't have a Konqueror plugin and AFAIK their
Mozilla plugin doesn't work in Konqueror, though I haven't tried it in
4.2.)

But mostly I'd just recommend not to use Flash at all. I hate Flash ads. (At
least with Gnash you can just right-click and "Quit Gnash" to get rid of
them.) What's annoying is that Firefox keeps prompting for plugin
installation every single time. Konqueror can be told to remember a "No"
answer. If all you need Flash for is YouTube, there are downloaders who can
download the videos so they can be played with a local media player such as
Kaffeine or Totem (given appropriate xine-lib or GStreamer plugins from RPM
Fusion).

        Kevin Kofler