F11: X starts at wrong resolution

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 16:18:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 10:02 -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:

> I've been curious about dual-headed operation for some time now,
> and either because I'm using old software, or my hardware doesn't
> support it, I've never been able to get it to work.  It could also
> be because I don't know, or can't properly perform the correct
> magic incantations.
>
> But the first question is always:
> 'How can I tell if my hardware is capable of dual-headed operation'?

If it's an intel chip, or a radeon chip, or an nvidia chip newer than a
geforce 7 series, then it is dual-head capable.  nvidia chips should get
even more support as we move to nouveau.

There may be _limitations_ on how dualhead you can be.  For example:

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
>         945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics
>         Controller (rev 03)

Intel 915 and 945 series chips have a coordinate limit at 2048 pixels
wide.  This manifests in ugly ways, but the short answer is that if
you're trying to do something wider than that (like two 1280x1024
displays next to each other) then it's not going to work right.  That's
partly a hardware limit, and partly a software limit that's really hard
to fix.

We also still don't do memory management as well as we ought to, which
means you may need to explicitly set the Virtual size to allocate in the
config file to get the size you want.

- ajax