yum cpio: md5sum errors

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 06:04:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:21:53PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 04:13:17AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Scott Robbins wrote:
> > > Ok, I tried koji and it was the same issue--it wants bash.
> >
> > You shouldn't install Koji, you should fetch the rpm package (yes, the RPM
> > of RPM itself) to install from the Koji server. Or just wait a day for it
> > to hit Rawhide.
> >
> >         Kevin Kofler
>
> Sorry Kevin, shorthand on my part.  I meant that I tried to install the
> rpm package from koji.
>
> However, if getting the rpm when it hits rawhide still requires bash,
> and installs bash first, which won't install because of the md5 error,
> how does one work around this?

Ok, I got it sorted.  Actually, it's a compliment to the yum
developers--it's worked so well for me for so long that I'd forgotten
how I used to deal with rpm issues like this.

Make sure db4-utils is installed. (That one went smoothly with yum.)
Get rpm-4.6.0-8 as well as rpm-libs and rpm-python from koji.  (Or, one
could probably do it by installing the yum-downloadonly plugin then
doing yum --downloadonly install rpm, which should pull in the others,
as well as bash and company.

Then, assuming db4-utils is installed, get the rpm-libs rpm-python and
rpm in one directory.  Then rpm -Uvh *rpm

That worked fine. Again, a compliment to how well yum has worked for me
for so long, I'd really forgotten my workarounds and was trying
--nodeps, installing them one at a time.

Still I think that such an issue should be clearly documented, and
preferably, right by the mirror list.  Otherwise, unless the ISO gets
revised soon, everyone downloading the ISO is going to run into it.

(Save for those who have seen this thread or the one on the devel list.
And even people subscribed to these lists probably don't catch every
thread.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: (scoffs) Magic! Magic's all balderdash and chicanery. I'm
afraid we don't know a bloody thing. (everyone looking at him)
Except I seem to be British, don't I? Uh, and a man. With ...
glasses. (removes glasses) Well, that narrows it down
considerably.