Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 22:20:06 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating-3 wrote:

> The Fedora Project, that you're not asking to do any extra work?  Ok.

Based on the information posted earlier in this thread, and after doing a
little reading, I thought I would try my hand at building a new updated iso
for the i386 DVD install for F10 to see how much work it really involves....

This is what I have done this evening in a newly installed F10 on an old
laptop to create a new spin
using mock/pungi:

Made sure mock, spin-kickstarts and pungi are installed.

As root:
1) gpasswd -a mike mock
to add mike to the mock group. All the remaining commands can be done as
normal user.

2) Then as user mike I did
mock -r fedora-10-i386 --init

This takes a while - seems to do lots of stuff - then clearly creates
files somewhere! In fact I found they are in /var/lib/mock when outside the
chrooted environment.

The original mock files are in /etc/mock

3) Need to install spin-kickstarts in the chroot so

mock -r fedora-10-i386 --install spin-kickstarts

also will need vim so do the same replacing vim for spin-kickstarts in the
above command.

4) Now install pungi into the chroot:
mock -r fedora-10-i386 --install pungi

It takes a while and no output!

5) Now get a shell within the chroot
mock -r fedora-10-i386 --shell

This gives a mock-chroot> prompt to indicate we are in the shell

6) Note that the files created within the chroot are accessible from outside
the chroot at /var/lib/mock/

7) Edit the appropriate kickstart file as needed - I cp the appropriate file
from /usr/share/spin-kickstarts into the same directory within the chroot
then edit the new file to suit my needs. I made the new file
fedora-install-mikespin.ks in the same dir.

Changed the mirror lines.

repo --name=f10
--baseurl=http://path-to-mirror/fedora/linux/releases/10/Everything/$basearch/os/
repo --name=f10-updates
baseurl=http://path-to-mirror/fedora/linux/updates/10/$basearch/

Also removed all the language support except for british-support as I don't
need the others - this can be configured as needed by anyone doing a similar
build.

You could add or subtract stuff as necessary from the kickstart file to
personalise it - the above are the only changes I made.

8) Can cleanup doing
mock-chroot> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
This is not strictly necessary if building for the same arch - in my case
running i386 and building i386
I did not do it as not vital if composing for same arch.

9) Now we can run the build...

mock-chroot> pungi -c /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-mikespin.ks
--de
stdir=/compose --nosplitmedia --nosource

This will likely take a long time - currently it is gathering rpms -
hopefully it will then do the build and create the iso.
I'll go get a long coffee/head to bed/read  Thomas Hardy novel/stare out of
the window for some time - or even post what I did to Fedora List!

So if this all works then this should be doable by most moderately
experienced Fedora users.

Once done I will check the compose directory in
/var/lib/mock/fedora-10-i386/root/compose from outside the chroot
to check if the new DVD iso containing up to date rpms, and netinsall.iso
have been created - and then copy them out and test install. Of course this
will not build the course RPMS but in this case I am only running this as a
test and not for external publication. Someone could of course
re-produce/improve this and make isos for Fedora Unity I guess?

I imagine guidance in this post could be followed relatively easily. Of
course this is only using mock/pungi in the CLI, and details for using
revisor were posted earlier in the thread if someone wants to rebuild using
a GUI facility.

Maybe this will help others who wish to create updated isos for install to
avoid some of the problems that came with the original release iso for
particular hardware such as scsi disks and particular graphics cards?

Of course anyone creating an iso this way takes their own responsibility if
it fails! I am just saying what I did for my own use.

Best wishes

Mike