missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Sat Jan 3 17:18:03 UTC 2009

Fulko Hew wrote:
> I decided to enable rawhide on my test F10 system, and do a
> yum update.
>
> I get a lot of dependency failures like:
>
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch from installed has depsolving problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package
> setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch (installed)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
> Fulko

Agreed, F11 development is not ready for anything yet.

I have been trying to run F11 development updates, but with little
success.  I vary from 300 to abt 350 pkgs that are waiting for
dependencies.  The python abi=2.5 is a prime example.

I think development in Fedora has changed in personality.  IMO it used
to be you reported problems (ex: with dependencies) and in a few days,
updates would come along to address the issue.  Now everything is driven
by some God awful complex script (so many things are being supportted).
That has changed the output to often a 100 or more pkgs in a day.  The
pkgs are all over the map so I doubt it is possible to support with
manual methods.

The problem, I think is, they are focused on script issues. Things like
the python abi=2.5 has been a known problem for over a month now.

I also think things are not managed very well.  The active development
is using koji as a site.  Those verbally complaining abt something not
working as expected, have often been pointed to koji and advise that the
problem had been fixed there, but hasn't made it to distro.

I thing a lot of people are using koji to support what they have from
Rawhide.  I have doggedly stayed away from that option because I figure
for quality, it is important to not contaminate my Rawhide items.  But
that is not true for the 'propellor heads'.  And when they get a work
around like that, they stop the noise abt unsolved dependencies.

It seems to me that people like me should be screeming every few days
that items like python have not been fixed in *weeks*, but I think
people have left it up to Fedora mgmt to recognize the issue.

So much for 'volunteer' management.

--
Glenn Simpson VE3DSP
Hamilton, Ont