Fedora 10 on an HP EVO D510

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 5 05:26:38 UTC 2009

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 08:56:10PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>>> And?  Something enumerated it first.  If you dislike it then edit that
>>> in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. A comment there says
>>> "# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single line".
>> "no geek required."
>
> "No geek needed".  Following your criteria only a geek would care
> what specific names were stuck to network interfaces.  Again - why
> do you care?  If you do you are free to adjust things to your taste.
>
>    Michal

Evidently you haven't had your system mucked up by a kernel upgrade. "no
geek required" does not mean "no geek allowed," and I do still need to
care about these things. Renaming network interfaces at random can lead
to difficulties administering a system remotely.

Whether I care about their names or not, I do care that the cable
plugged into _that_ socket goes to my ADSL modem, the next one goes to
the staff network and the third to the student network.

If a kernel upgrade changes the first NIC's configuration from "no IP"
to "student LAN IP," I have to be on site to sort it out. That's what
renaming interfaces can do.

--

Cheers
John