on Rawhide, screen goes black when X starts

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Jul 13 15:26:07 UTC 2009

On 07/13/2009 10:32 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> There's not a whole lot of detail in the log; it just shows that it
> hangs when loading the vboxvideo driver. As a workaround you could try
> creating an xorg.conf file and setting the driver to 'vesa' - see
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf . That may
> avoid the problem.

There was already an xorg.conf file using the vboxvideo driver, which I
changed to vesa, and it now works!  Thank you.  Incidentally, when
installing the VirtualBox guest additions in Rawhide, I get the message

Warning: unsupported pre-release version of X.Org Server installed.  Not
installing the X.Org drivers.

The timestamp on my /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
file is 2009-06-21, which is probably around the time the problem
started.  I guess that was the time of the last successful install of
the drivers.