High CPU usage at idle

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 19:15:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 21:31 +0300, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 11:15 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > CPU usage at idle seems extremely high on current Rawhide:
> >
> > http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/cpu_usage_rawhide.png
> >
> > and that's on a Core 2 Quad (overclocked at 3.2GHz). Anyone any idea
> > why? Do others see similar?
>
> Try dbus-monitor to see what is flooding the bus? I've had something
> similar few days back, and although I couldn't exactly decipher what
> dbus-monitor was saying it hinted me to disable the mail notification
> plugin for evolution. Haven't seen the cpu pegged since then. Don't
> remember seeing any notifications either.

I have that thing turned off anyway, I don't like it. dbus-monitor
doesn't seem to show anything flooding the bus - I don't know really
what a normal rate of calls would be, but it's certainly not flooding
off the edge of my console :) just a few each minute.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey