Bugzilla semantics: marking bugs as triaged

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 17:40:39 UTC 2009

> I would like to point out again for the record that it seems to me that
> the primary reason bugzappers are altering the bug, in any way, is to
> mark that they've been there, done that, and to avoid having duplicate
> effort by other triagers on the same bug.  I know it's not the only
> reason, but it seems to be the most significant.

This is not the theory; the primary reason for marking bugs triaged is
intended to be for the benefit of developers. Whether or not it works
this way in practice.

> It's also worth pointing out that while there is an "official" meaning
> of ASSIGNED, it's meaning has been contrived by the bugzappers crowd
> whether or not the entire maintainer set agrees with it, and I think
> it's abundantly clear that not all maintainers agree.

I believe it was not originally 'contrived', but rather based on RHEL
practice. The ASSIGNED state has been defined to mean 'the bug has been
triaged' since at least May 2008, when the Wiki page was imported from
the old system:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow&oldid=15598

--
Adam Williamson