Bugzilla semantics: marking bugs as triaged

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 16:12:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 13:15 +0200, Niels Haase wrote:
> I'm also not quite sure, if I understand the discussion at all. Maybe
> someone can be so nice to correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> The main problem is the spam that the developer reached from bugzilla
> while triaging of the bugs is ongoing by the bugzappers.
>
> But how what will the change of "move away from ASSIGNED to Triaged
> keyword if the triage is done" change here? The amount of outgoing
> mail is the same, since it's the same amount of comments and needinfo
> that is needed to collect whole needed information form the reporter.
>
> So, if anyone can please so kind to explain me the relation of changed
> the state from ASSIGNED to keyword Triaged in the relation to the mail
> spam. Thanks for your patience.
>
> What make sense for me is, to changed the behaviour to use the Triaged
> keyword to mark the bug as "done" for the triaged afford and leave it
> as NEW. The maintainer can now ASSIGN the bug to a list or himself.
> Witch will result in one more stage. This make it for my opinion
> easier to see if the bug is currently under development by the
> maintainer.
>
> The work flow maybe can look like this:
> Bug is NEW, triage get started, if the triage is done, set the
> "Triaged" keyword, leave the bug as NEW. Now the maintainer need to
> ASSIGN the bug (to himself or a list), not the bugzapper any more.

The mail from comments soliciting information and getting information
aren't necessarily the concern I was seeing.  Mostly I was seeing
questions of the value of looking at a bug and doing nothing but putting
a comment that says "triaged" and setting the status to ASSIGNED, and
nothing else.  That was the biggest issue.  This is where a keyword can
be set without adding unnecessary comments in the bug, nor changing the
status when the use of status may be disagreed upon.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!