Fedoras' poor performance in test

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Thu Jul 30 10:14:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2009, at 3:08, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> You cannot reliably "benchmark" rawhide performance nor should
>>> we even try. Identifying and fixing bugs comes first, *tuning*
>>> comes later.
>>
>> pathetic performance *is* a *bug*
>>

> Rawhide has lots of debugging turned on in various places so it is not
> suitable for benchmarking until this is removed. Target beta or the final
> release.

Even thou I never looked for a list of what's enabled in rawhide, I'd be
surprised if other distros do not have something similar. They may be in
different development stage, right (e.g. already beta).

> --
> Jes
>

>From the other comments: I understand the benchmarking is not only firing
some test suite, but about comparing and tuning. I may try to arange one
old PC with "out of the box" rawnhide to run periodicaly e.g. the Phoronix
test suite and publish the results - this will provide comparison. Let's
see, if it'll be useful.

Adam Pribyl