Re: Fedoras' poor performance in test

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Jul 28, 2009, at 3:08, Karel Volný <kvolny redhat com> wrote:

You cannot reliably "benchmark" rawhide performance nor should
we even try. Identifying and fixing bugs comes first, *tuning*
comes later.

pathetic performance *is* a *bug*

Rawhide has lots of debugging turned on in various places so it is not suitable for benchmarking until this is removed. Target beta or the final release.

Even thou I never looked for a list of what's enabled in rawhide, I'd be surprised if other distros do not have something similar. They may be in different development stage, right (e.g. already beta).

--
Jes

From the other comments: I understand the benchmarking is not only firing
some test suite, but about comparing and tuning. I may try to arange one old PC with "out of the box" rawnhide to run periodicaly e.g. the Phoronix test suite and publish the results - this will provide comparison. Let's see, if it'll be useful.

Adam Pribyl