Fedora 11 RC1 installation testing

Partha Bagchi partha1b at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:22:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Partha Bagchi wrote:

>>> I believe that you will find this is a rounting problem, and IIRC there
>>> is a
>>> default route to the destination, else you would get "no route to host,"
>>> but
>>> some network node refused to pass the packets, and retuned the ICMP
>>> packets
>>> saying so.
>>>
>>> If "netstat -rn" doesn't shed any light on this, use of tcpdump may. I
>>> don't
>>> find any useful (to me) information in the rest of this, it is as I
>>> expect.
>>> I suppose that you could get this behavior if the route were in place but
>>> the router didn't correctly handle the packets, or wasn't passing icmp.
>>> You
>>> comment on "nearer" suggests that.
>>>
>>> My experience has been that other than the fact that the checkbox for
>>> starting a connection at boot is still a decoration rather than a
>>> feature,
>>> FC11 is working slightly better than FC10 on my laptops.
>>>
>>> Hope any of this helps.

>>> --
>>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>>  "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Perhaps that is my
>> problem.
>>
>> I don't believe 'netstat -m' exists? What am I looking for here?
>>
> I have always combined the two letters, but I'm sure "netstat -r -n" will do
> the same thing, verify that the routing table contains no surprises.

My bad I read that as the letter "M" and not "RN". Sorry about that.
netstat -r -n shows no surprises (from an su terminal).
>> Also, do you expect the output of tcpdump when I am further away from
>> the router? I should mention that the router is in the basement and I
>> am able to get a fine signal on the ground floor. When I step outside
>> a few feet away that I cannot get a signal. I did not have this
>> problem with Fedora 10, same hardware.
>>
> If I read your original post right, you said you had a 40% signal. You might
> enter "iwconfig" from a command line and see what the values are for working
> and non-working. If you run tcpdump on the wireless NIC you *may* see
> packets being sent and ICMP error packets coming back. I'm just suggesting
> that it will provide more information at a low cost in time.

iwconfig and NetworkManager track pretty well. My guess is that
NetworkManager simply reports what iwconfig says.

My problem was I don't know what to look for. tcpdump is not very
illuminating to me.

>> Are you familiar with ath9k?
>>
> One of the machines I have used required that driver, but I'm not a regular
> user. I have chased wireless problems on at least six or seven laptops, so I
> can suggest things which have provided useful information in the past. The
> network list or wireless list might also be worth reading or asking, but a
> change between Fedora versions is likely to be release related.
>
> I expect the laptop will show something on tcpdump, which may or may not be
> useful. As noted, it's a low cost thing to try, I usually get all the cheap
> information I can and see if something sticks out.

I will try.

As an aside, ath9k was being rigorously developed. I stopped following
their mailing list, so don't know the current status. However, as I
stated, F10 did not have any problems. F11RC1 (fully updated) does.