RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 2 20:32:08 UTC 2009

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> said:
>> Sounds like mirrors could/should take RCs then? Push them out and
>> announce their availability when they show up (24h?)? Negates the whole
>> bittorrent/jigdo discussion.
>
> Feeding the bits out isn't usually the problem, it is getting the bits
> synced.  There's no way mirrors could get daily (or probably even
> weekly) builds synced in a useful time.  For 11-Preview, the size of
> just the ISOs is 36.5G; if you exclude source and Live images, it is
> still 25.3G.

I think this would be a valuable improvement, though, if you could feed changes
through some mechanism and then do the image build on the mirror server, you
would save everyone a ton of effort and bandwidth, and the CPU time is minimal
to do the image build.

Using a bittorrent approach can't actually be too hard to do if you wanted to do
it, I bet most mirror sites could nfs export storage to save the bytes, so you
just need any small system running Fedora and a few scripts to pull the images
down and seed them. Note: I said "not too hard" rather than trivial, because
error correction is needed. I still think a jigdo style delta+build solution is
best, if overall bandwidth is to be saved.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>