intel graphics driver slow (was: slightly OT - X performance benchmark)

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:59:59 UTC 2009

On 06/02/2009 04:32 PM, David L wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Kevin DeKorte  wrote:
>> On 06/02/2009 03:37 PM, David L wrote:
>>> My f11 system seems extremely slow when running
>>> some 2D gtk/cairo apps.  Is there a benchmark
>>> suite that is yum installable for testing X performance?
> <snip>
>>>

>> Personally I find that gtkperf is useful although not an exact science.
>> I like to run it with the following options
>>
>> gtkperf -c 500 -a
>>
> Thanks Kevin,
>
> That helped confirm my suspicions.  Here's my output with
> the intel driver on my Intel 82865G:
>
> GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Jun  2 15:06:29 2009
>
> GtkEntry - time:  0.47
> GtkComboBox - time:  6.78
> GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  3.31
> GtkSpinButton - time:  2.38
> GtkProgressBar - time:  1.16
> GtkToggleButton - time:  1.50
> GtkCheckButton - time:  0.45
> GtkRadioButton - time:  1.21
> GtkTextView - Add text - time:  3.39
> GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  3.55
> GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  1.76
> GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 44.60
> GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 15.80
> GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  1.38
>  ---
> Total time: 87.74

Those numbers are actually pretty acceptable... when my radeon card
didn't have dri running I was seeing numbers about 150 and it was still
quite usable.

It is interesting that the vesa driver is much faster. Perhaps there is
other magic happening to make it appear faster.

Kevin

- --
Get my public GnuPG key from
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7D0BD5D1