What's with bogofilter and spam

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Jun 4 10:01:35 UTC 2009

Recently bogofilter's spam sensing abilities seem to have gone all wrong
in evolution.

I was getting way too much span in the inbox (maybe 10% of my spam
wasn't getting detected) and even though I was highlighting it and
marking it as spam the same sorts of messages kept appearing.

So I

1. Stopped evolution getting mail (using the offline icon)
2. deleted all my spam and emptied the trash
3. closed evolution (and ran evolution --force-shutdown).
4. moved ~/.bogofilter to ~/.bogofilter.orig
5. restarted evolution and went back online.

For a while, bogofilter seemed to be doing a better job filtering spam
(much less coming through to the inbox).

However, having a look through the spam, I notice that all my
fedore-(test|devel)-list email and a whole bunch of other email is
getting filtered as spam.  I highlight these and mark and not spam.

Now I'm back where I started.

When I first started using bogofilter is needed a little training
(including having put non-spam in the spam box) but after a couple of
days it settled and was quite good (maybe 1% of spam got into my inbox
and very rarely a message I wanted went to spam), so I'm not sure what's
gone wrong.

Are other noticing the same issues?

I prefer bogofilter over spamassassin as the latter takes forever to
filter through email, especially when you've been on holidays for a week
and have to pull a couple of 1000 messages.

R.