no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sun Jun 7 23:22:46 UTC 2009

I had a functioning F10 and decided to pre-upgrade to Rawhide/F11. It
worked somewhat, but I'm left with one major problem. I can't get x to
start. I had been running the nvidia driver from rpmfusion. That's been
removed and xorg.conf was deleted. Nouveau failed to start. I
reinstalled the nvidia driver, and that failed to start. I removed it
again, deleted xorg.conf again, and nv refused to run on next boot. I do
get the Grub splash screen at the very beginning of the boot process -
isn't that dependent on x?

Anyhow, I'm not sure where to go with this. I can install/uninstall
stuff from repos from the command line. Suggestions welcome...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA