Fedora 11 updates-testing

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Jun 10 20:21:17 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
>> And to answer, that depends on if your using a mirror or directly from
>> Fedora's servers themselves.  But they have to be built first (or are
>> they built *then* the email is sent?) and then time to get out to the
>> mirrors.  Maybe someone in the know can give a quick explanation on how
>> that all lays out and answer your question better.
>
> Actually, it's not just mirroring.
>
> There are 4 steps until an update gets pushed to testing (or directly to
> stable):
> 1. The update gets built in Koji.
> 2. The maintainer files an update in Bodhi.
> 3. The next "update push" happens, where the updates actually get pushed:
> rel-eng signs them, the tags get moved and new updates-testing and updates
> repositories get composed on the master mirror.
> 4. The update push gets mirrored.
>
> The first notification Bodhi posts to Bugzilla is during 2., at that point
> the update cannot be downloaded (except directly from Koji, which is
> usually a bad idea for bandwidth and convenience reasons). There's a second
> notification during 3. After that second notification, you need to allow
> for a few hours to a few days (depending on the mirror) to sync the
> contents (step 4).
>
> For a move from testing to stable, the steps are:
> 5. The maintainer requests the push to stable.
> 6. Same as 3.
> 7. Same as 4.
> There's another notification posted to Bugzilla at step 6. Again, you need
> to wait for mirroring (step 7).
>
> I hope this clears things up.

That clarifies the process, thanks. I can't even ask why it takes so long,
clearly some packages have dependencies and the whole collection needs to be
updated at once (or from the bottom up, which isn't really easier). And the
signing steps also change distribution to a more batch process.

So it's as real time as it can be, without significant effort. Besides, it gives
up something to look forward to. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>