Trying to slim down my installation

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 04:58:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 23:14 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 06:52:43 -0700,
>   Steven I Usdansky <usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > At 79 MB, libgweather is one of the larger packages I have installed.
> > Now, I think, "I really don't need libgweather, I'll just remove it".
> > Just to be safe, I do a
> >
> > ~# rpm -q --whatrequires libgweather
> > no package requires libgweather
>
> That's odd, here I get:
> [root at bruno bruno]# rpm -q --whatrequires libgweather
> libgweather-devel-2.26.1-1.fc11.i586

It's not really odd, just means Steven didn't have that package
installed. No reason he would do, unless he was compiling stuff against
it.

> If you find a way to make that package optional (while keeping most of the
> desktop), that would please a few live image maintainers.

I assume it contains a bunch of data about different weather locations.
Bit hard to live without. I mean, you could split the data up from the
library file itself and thus satisfy the dependency without the size, I
guess, but then the functions wouldn't really work...

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey