2009-06-24 - Fedora QA meeting Recap

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Jun 24 23:08:42 UTC 2009

On 06/24/2009 06:35 PM, James Laska wrote:
<snip>
</snip..

HOLD THE PRESSESS ;)

There seems to be a bit miss summation here..

So to get one thing clear this is the problem that we are faced with (
taken from my improve_reporting page )

"Lack of needed information for maintainer(s) to be able to successfully
work with the report."

The reason for the lack of the needed information on a report is in most
cases simply that the reporter has not a clue what to include in the
report itself and is not mandatory to provide that information.The
underlying problem is not the reporter nor the triager which often ask
the reporter to include wrong information because the triager has no
better clue what to include in the report so he ask for the most common
include case ( usually to include /var/log/messages). The problem is
that the maintainer(s) them self have failed to provide this information
or has done so only to the reporter on a report bases.When a maintainer
introduces a component into Fedora it should be mandatory for him to
provide this information along with how to enable debug output and to
provide test plans for the component.

> Viking_ice asked whether the abrt tool could be used to improve bug
> reporting.

Hum I never asked if abtr could be used to improve bugs it goes without
saying that any automated bug reporting tool does as long as it works..
I was asking if any one knew how abrt is solving this problem. wwoods
mentioned that "IIRC they had (or were planning to have) plugins or conf
files that specify what files to attach"
Which does not solve the problem they just pass the burden to the
maintainer to write that plugin or config file or us and since we need
to have that info in other places like bugzilla then it's question if we
should not gather that info from maintainers perhaps file a bug against
all components in bugzilla and asking the maintainer for that info and
we then we would write that plugin or config file or abrt would fetch
the info for that in the same db as bugzilla would?

> Viking_ice summarized by saying ''we need to come up with some plans on
> how to gather the info from maintainers on what they want on their
> reports on how to get that info from them.'' and pointed to
> [[User:Johannbg/QA/Kernel]] as an example based on j-rod's suggestion
> from the Fedora 11 retrospective meeting.

I was not refering to my QA/Kernel in a conjunction with  the above
problem.
I just mentioned that I had also started on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Kernel
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Kernel>in regards to
j-rods wish on the F11RR meeting

> Jlaska suggested having a way to catalog content (e.g. debugging tips,
> or bug filing tips) for testers to easily find could be a great start.

JBG