Something is broken... X/GDM hangs my systems

Birger Wathne birger at birger.sh
Thu Jun 25 11:42:41 UTC 2009

It seemed like the repos were somewhat functional again, so I plunged in.
Perhaps a bit early :-)

The new updates hard hang both systems I have tried as soon as X/GDM starts.
One is on Intel, the other on NVidia graphics. I can boot to level 3 and
everything seems ok, then try to start gdm, and:

On HP EliteBook 2530p, x86_64, intel graphics I get the blue background and
the login screen, except no users are listed, and there is a white input box
instead. At this point the system hangs completely.

On TCI desktop system with Intel mainboard and nvidia graphics, as soon as x
starts I get only a black screen and the system hangs.

On the HP this also triggers a problem I have seen occasionally. Resuming
with the earlier 2.6.31 kernel on said HP laptop hangs every time, and a few
times the laptop has refused to boot afterwards.

The crashes today consistently show the same behaviour. When forcing a
reboot, the laptop hangs at the bios splash screen. The only way I have
found around it is to press esc as soon as the splash screen appears, and
then press f9 to select boot device, and then select the internal disk. The
system then boots normally again.

Could this be some hardware not getting reset completely by the bios during
post?

I must confess I don't quite know where to file this kind of bugs...

--
birger