what's the alternative in f11-alpha to npviewer.bin?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 2 12:33:04 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   what's the fedora-approved alternative to npviewer.bin for watching
> youtube videos, since npviewer.bin has, for the longest time,
> absolutely crippled my earlier fedora systems, frequently sucking up
> over half the CPU while doing absolutely nothing, requiring frequent
> invocations of "killall npviewer.bin".
>
>   perhaps i just didn't set it up properly but, seriously, i'd rather
> run my nads over a cheese grater than reinstall that hideous piece of
> software on a new fedora system

Nspluginwrapper is installed by default even on 32-bit systems to force
plugins to run as a separate process increasing stability and security
of the system and has been working fine on my systems.  There has been a
few bugs reported and fixed over a period of time about instability with
the flash plugin when using nspluginwrapper. If you can reproduce them,
it would be useful to report them. They are typically handled quickly.

Rahul