some of my gateway laptops refuse to install f11a i386

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 3 21:10:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> You could put all the bios setting to default and see if that works
> ( or make sure they settings are identical )
>
> Check if the bios version is the same on all of them
>
> My best bet would be that the dvd drives are failing which means
> that the drives on those that do read the dvd might not have much
> time left..

  i'd thought of that, but that wouldn't explain why those drives
would be so *particular* -- happily installing off of the x86_64 DVD
but not the i386 one.  and i verified the correctness of those DVDs.
and it was always the i386 DVDs that were ignored, not the x86_64.
that doesn't strike me as drives slowly going bad.  there's way too
much of a pattern there.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.