Introduction emails (was Re: BugZappers Meeting Recap for 2009-03-03)

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 03:52:43 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 15:42 -0500, TK009 wrote:
>
>> * (SOP) Standard Operating Procedures - General discussion began on
>> creation of SOP's for the BugZappers, and that they should be created
>> concurrently with the wiki update. Then focused on SOP for joining/new
>> members of the BugZappers. Specifically the "introduction e-mail". No
>> decission was reached during the meeting regarding procedure.
>
> This is an area which came in for some contention during the meeting.
> Let's have some follow up :)
>
> To recap for people who weren't at the meeting:
>
> Myself and John would like to make it a standard requirement for new
> triagers to post a short mail to the mailing list just to introduce
> themselves. The intent of this is multiple. First, it acts as a basic
> bot check - this is important, as joining fedorabugs group gives you
> wide Bugzilla powers, so we don't want bots to get it.
>
> Second, it's a good way to make newcomers feel involved right away, and
> make sure the rest of the group knows about them. We actually had about
> ten new members in the fedorabugs group last week, but most current
> triagers wouldn't know that because there's currently nothing that has
> them introduce themselves to the rest of the group.

Third, it makes our job easier because then we know who to approve for
'fedorabugs' vs. every single notification we get.  It is my
understanding that packagers get 'fedorabugs' too, but I'm not sure how
it is granted or requested.

> Chris objected on the grounds that he wouldn't have felt comfortable
> sending an introduction email when he joined and he worried that there
> would be others in the same situation. He felt there should be no need
> to disclose any kind of personal information to become a bugzapper, and
> people should be judged on work, not personal qualities or reputation.
>
> I and John clarified that the introductory mail could be pretty
> free-form, and wouldn't need to include any personal information like
> name or location if the newcomer didn't feel comfortable providing that
> information.

Yes.  Tell us as little or as much as you want about yourself.  Minimum
information...
o what you want to help with
o previous linux experience--no wrong answers here, but it helps us to
know who might need more guidance
o Bonus points: IRC nick (if you do not use IRC... it may be difficult
to get sustainable help if you do not, but that should not be an
immediate barrier)

John