Thunderbird beagle indexing not working?

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Mon Mar 9 16:10:26 UTC 2009

Updated from today's Rawhide, which included a beagle-thunderbird update (to
0.3.9-6.fc11).  Beagle indexing still isn't working in thunderbird
(3.0-1.beta2.fc11) -- little red X on top of the beagle icon in the corner
of the window.  Dialogs claim that indexer is idle and enabled, but still
new email messages not being indexed.  Can't find a bug about this in
Bugzilla.  Expected behavior?  Anybody else seeing it?  Should I file a bug?

Something tells me that this error in my beagle log has something to do with
it:

20090309 11:47:12.6496 06091 Beagle ERROR EX: Caught exception while
instantiating Thunderbird backend

20090309 11:47:12.6496 06091 Beagle ERROR EX:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.DllNotFoundException:
libgmime-2.0.so.2.4.3

Probably unrelated: "ps aux" did not show beagled running.  I brought up the
search window with F12 and told it to start the service, then it said that
it was busy indexing for a while, then it went idle but is still running.
Checked the Startup Application Preferences dialog and found that "Beagle
Search Daemon" and "Beagle Search Tool" are both enabled in "Startup
Programs" tab.  I see this at the end of the last beagle log before the
current one; I don't know if it's relevant:

(/usr/lib/beagle/BeagleDaemon.exe:3549): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **:
g_value_get_object: assertion `G_VALUE_HOLDS_OBJECT (value)' failed

** (/usr/lib/beagle/BeagleDaemon.exe:3549): WARNING **: Shutting down
finalizer thread timed out.

Use beagle-status to check progress of beagled.

For log files check /home/jik/.beagle/Log/current-Beagle.

beagled will run in the background.

Use beagle-status to check progress of beagled.

For log files check /home/jik/.beagle/Log/current-Beagle.

The last few lines are repeated over and over.  Don't know whether this is
why the beagle daemon wasn't running, or whether this is a transient thing I
shouldn't worry about or something more serious I should report to bugzilla.

(It may be relevant that I was playing around with my system clock last
night and this morning while debugging a cronie issue.)

  Jik