When will Fedora work again?

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 9 19:33:51 UTC 2009

Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:53:19 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, Leon Stringer wrote:
> In this specific case, as others have said, there are some workarounds
> you can try. The emergency one is to use the 'vesa' driver, which will
> make X work, but will be rather slow and may not support all the
> resolutions you need. You can also create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file -
> running 'Xorg -configure' from runlevel 3 should do this - and then try
> either disabling acceleration or switching to XAA rather than EXA
> acceleration:

> Option "NoAccel" "true"

> or

> Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

> in the Driver section of the xorg.conf file will do those things. Either
> of those may get you going. If so, of course, please add this
> information to your bug report(s). Thanks!

Adam,

I'm already running two other systems in vesa mode because the F10 install
did not recognize their built-in ATI video, and they were set that way by
the installer.  They are slow but usable.

I tried vesa with the GX270, but the largest video mode supported was
only  600x800.  My modifications to the generated Intel Xorg.conf to
switch it to vesa didn't work and I ran out of time to diagnose.  I've
not tried the acceleration workaround lately - I should be able to do
so in a week or so.  For now, that box is sitting under my desk while
my larger space heater (I mean development box/server) must now stay up
7/24 simply for DNS/Samba.

I would point out the potential trap with leaving something broken for
a long time, and relying on widely published workarounds.  It can reduce
the likelyhood of many of the folks affected ever testing the fixes when
they do arrive.  In my experience, a significant number of folks will
leave things in the working state until they next do a fresh install of
a subsequent release on that box.  If they simply update, the workaround
might well continue to be used for the life of that box.

Al