renamed eth0 to eth1, why?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Mar 10 10:13:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 10:03 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:00:21AM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Ah, this notebook just came back from having it's MB replaced.  I guess that
> > explains it.
>
> In that case have a look at
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> You will likely find there a line with your old MAC and with
> NAME="eth0" and another one for a new MAC and with NAME="eth1".
>
> You can edit this file but be careful as most likely there is
> HWADDR in your ifcfg-eth0 and newly created ifcfg-eth1.

I've had a similar situation where I did the install of f10 (and
rawhide) with two network cards and then pulled out one of them and now
I'm seeing all sorts of weird eth1/eth0 things (which is likely what
you're talking about above)

I'm also getting issues with s-c-n tying the mac address to the config
and then having the mac address change (how, I don't know).

The r8139 thing rings bells.

R.
 It's much better on my side"