The 64-bit System...

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 11 01:48:26 UTC 2009

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Brian Chadwick wrote:
>
>> to be fairer, how much faster is the processor as well? any new 64-bit
>> processor is faster than the top of the line 32 bit one of a few years
>> ago, mind you my Athlon Xp-3200+ is heaps for me
>>
>>> To be fair, the extra RAM probably also helped.
>>>
>>>         Kevin Kofler
> Yes, I thought the RAM might be a factor, but I was never using all I had
> previously (although I never checked the usage during a yum update).
>
> My comparison is based of the same processor, the intel core 2 duo e6320,
> no hardware change, except previously I used i386 with 2GB RAM, now I use
> x86_64 with 4GB RAM.
>
> Also, there are other factors, like kde was painfully slow before (it would
> take 2+ seconds to advance 1 line in Dolphin, for example), likely something
> to do with OpenGL desktop effects, the xorg-intel driver, mesa, what-have-
> you. This appears to be working MUCH MUCH smoother, AFAICT so far.
>
> I am confused about installing mozilla plugins. Do I just yum install, or do
> I have to do something special (for adobe flash-plugin, there was already
> some discussion).

There's a 64-bit beta of Adobe Flash. Works for me.

This Java works.
10:43 [root at bobtail ~]# rpm -q --qf '%{name} %{version} %{release}
%{arch} \n' jdk
jdk 1.6.0_12 fcs x86_64

> Also, I noticed in the repo that some programs/libraries/what-have-you exist
> in duplicate, for x86_64 and i386. MUST I install both? Will yum
No
> automatically grab both if required, etc? I don't want to pollute this
> virgin system with 32-bit, unless I absolutely have to.
10:45 [root at bobtail ~]# rpm -qa --qf ' %{arch} \n'  | sort -u
  noarch
  (none)
  x86_64
10:46 [root at bobtail ~]#
The "none" line is gpg-pubkey. I'd have thought it would be noarch.

_My_ system is RHEL5-clone.

--

Cheers
John