Fresh F11 alpha install, how to move forward?

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 11 18:57:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 17:13 +0000, Lalit Dhiri wrote:
> > From: gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
> > To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> > Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:08:55 +0100
> > Subject: Fresh F11 alpha install, how to move forward?
> >
> > I finally had some time to try out F11 alpha. After installing it on my
> > Atom based system I noticed that cpu scaling was not working and only 1
> > cpu was being detected. So I tried upgrading the kernel by giving yum
> > update a try but that fails with massive md5 errors as discussed on the
> > list.
> >
> > What is the proper way me to install a newer kernel? I really like to
> > test it before running of to bugzilla.
> >
> > NB I tried upgrading the kernel by hand but it results in
> > DB_VERSION_MISMATCH errors.
> >
> > Jurgen
> >
> Did you run a yum update yum rpm before attempting the kernel update?

No I did not. But I now have the latest kernel up-and-running, thanks.

The issue with only 1 CPU being detected and CPU scaling not working is
clear. That's due to the kernel being booted with acpi=off. Anaconda
took that from my install kernel parameters. With ACPI on the F11 alpha
DVD oopses on my system.
Unfortunately with the new kernel I still cannot enable ACPI, with ACPI
enabled I get an oops halting the kernel. Furthermore the partial
upgrade left me without a working wireless connection. Off to a complete
reinstall.

Jurgen