Interesting comments

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 01:23:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 09:44 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> Sure a triager can't be expected to reproduce every bug, but whenever
> possible they should try. Even if it means reinstalling an older release
> ( and yes, I know not everyone can do that, but I expect some RH
> employees _can_).

There's no RH employee whose actual job involves triaging bugs in
Fedora. There's maybe four or five of us who might do it as an
on-the-clock-volunteering sort of deal, I suppose. I'm not going to
bother having three versions of Fedora installed to do it, though.

>  Considering the problems I (and importantly, others)
> had with the HP DC7700 I think I would expect RH to acquire some (it's a
> corporate desktop system and I know RHEL customers use them).

I wouldn't be surprised if RH has some somewhere, and they may well be
tested. By the RH QA team. For RHEL. =) We're a rather different
operation. Practically speaking, people use Fedora on such a bewildering
array of hardware configurations that it's not practical to expect RH or
anyone else to go out and spend money to try and reproduce all hardware
scenarios.

I should add that I'm talking in terms of practicality here, and taking
into consideration that we have not many active triagers trying to
triage a very large amount of bugs. In that situation, it's sometimes
better to triage 100 bugs without reproduction at an accuracy rate of
85% than it is to triage 15 bugs with reproduction at an accuracy rate
of 95%. IMHO, anyway.

Anyone else want to butt in? :)
--
Adam Williamson