More on high i/o load wedging Fedora 10

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 15:37:41 UTC 2009

Robin Laing wrote:
> Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>>> I reformatted the backup drive with ext2 to see if that made any
>>> difference.  Fedora still wedged during the backup, twice.
>> When/if you gather the info I requested - sysrq 'w' output, which will
>> actually help identify & resolve the issue instead of speculating about
>> it, please file a bug against the kernel, attach the info I asked for,
>> and I'll see it that way.  I probably won't be following these threads
>> further.
>>
>> -Eric
>>

> And when you do, post the details to this list.
>
> I ask that as my F10 machine is going into a total freeze during backups
> as well.  The only item of what happened was a message in messages about
> a kernel oops.

What is the number for the bug you filed?

> I thought it may be related to the EXT4 issues and I am in the process
> of dumping EXT4 after reading many reports of data loss.

Please don't.  Please at *LEAST* report the bug(s) first - with details.

Guys, reporting vague errors on this list and then not following up with
any useful information - especially when specific, simple steps are
requested from developers who could *fix* it - is just wasting people's
time and bandwidth.

For what it's worth, I assume your "many reports of data loss" are
probably related to the recent slashdot/lwn/launchpad/whatever posting.

I won't rehash all the details of that, but patches are now in f10 and
f11 to make ext4 behave a bit more like ext3, even when applications
aren't doing an fsync(); on their data.  I do not expect that you will
be at a large risk of data loss with ext4 on Fedora.

Thanks,
-Eric