How to Triage: Draft posted on wiki

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 23 18:15:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 10:17 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > An alternative to my previous suggestion might be a subordinate bug,
> > "this also occurs in ...." The parent bug cannot be closed (the software
> > won't allow it) until all subordinate bugs are fixed too.
>
> You can't do that, because there's no clear invariable parent/child
> relationship. Imagine a bug that exists in F10 and Rawhide. There are
> some cases where it might get fixed in F10 but not Rawhide, some where
> it might get fixed in Rawhide but not F10, some where it might get fixed
> in both and some where it might get fixed in neither.

Usually a bug is fixed in the newer version and backported to older
versions.  Bugzilla is mostly for reminding humans what to do, so it
seems fine to expect people to change the order of what-depends-on-what
in weird cases where a bug is fixed in an older version but not a newer
one, despite being the "same" bug.

-B.