Convert ext3 to ext4

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:33:35 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com>:
> On 2009-03-30, 09:54 GMT, Joshua C. wrote:
>> Is ext4 "production-ready"? I know it was declared stable in
>> 2.6.28 but I still see more ext4 patches than ext3 in the
>> kernel. Maybe it's just because ext4 is newer? Is ext4 ready to
>> fully replace ext3 without any data losses? What about
>> mission-critical machines or should we wait untill 2.6.31 just
>> to be sure?
>
> If you have mission-critical machines, then you don't use Fedora
> for them anyway, right? ;-) Then you should install RHEL 5.3 (or
> some of its variants) which has ext4 as a Technology Preiew
> (i.e., not supported by RH yet).
>
> Make your own conclusions. However, as with all similar
> situation, no-one will do testing of your needs for you.
>
> Matěj
>
> --

You're right. I'm also considering switching to ext4 (home pc) with
f11 but i don't wan't to spend time figuring out what's wrong if
something really goes wrong.  there are othe threads in the enternet
but no ditro is shipping with ext4 as default. And I'm wondering if
it's so much better then the good old ext3.