modeset on/off changes xrandr output

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:08:10 UTC 2009

I've been looking around and I haven't seen anywhere that this is
documented: if I toggle the modeset flag the output of xrandr changes
radically (this is on fully updated F11 rawhide with Intel graphics):

- Outputs have different names:
  - modeset: VGA1, LVDS1, DVI{1,2}, TV1
  - nomodeset: VGA, LVDS, HDMI-{1,2}, TV
- Maximum virtual size is different:
  - modeset: 8192 x 8192
  - nomodeset: 1920 x 1920 (nb: native resolution is 1920x1200)
- Available resolutions and refresh rates are different, with many
more available with nomodeset
  - e.g., LVDS has only 1920x1200 with modesetting, but six further
resolutions with nomodeset

Is this a known "feature"? Is it documented anywhere?

Thanks,

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
ICCS, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.