X does not work with ATI based machines

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 21:24:05 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 5/13/09, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: X does not work with ATI based machines
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009, 8:51 AM
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 07:56 -0700,
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear fellow testers,
> >
> > I have updated to yesterday's updates.  Today X
> is broken on two
> > machines(those with ATI cards :( )  Will try to
> send specs and/or
> > Xorg.log.?  to see if we can determine what is
> wrong.  Hopefully this
> > afternoon or tomorrow morning I can send that in.
>
> Which ATI cards?  They've made slightly more than
> one.
[olivares at riohigh Documents]$ /sbin/lspci | grep 'VGA'
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
[olivares at riohigh Documents]$

I logged into level 3 and startx and its working.  The other one, however is not.  I see the following :

ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/echo: input/output error
ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/sleep: input/output error
ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/sleep:  input/output error
Kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
[drm:radeonfb_panic] : ERROR:  panic occurred, switching back to text console.

I started in level 3 and this is the message that I see.  The caps lock and scroll lock lights in the keyboard are flashing at me also.  I will try to login to level 3 under a previous kernel and see if I can boot and report back.

Regards,

Antonio