X does not work with ATI based machines

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 13 23:30:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 14:24 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> I logged into level 3 and startx and its working.  The other one, however is not.  I see the following :
>
> ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/echo: input/output error
> ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/sleep: input/output error
> ERROR:  failed in exec of /bin/sleep:  input/output error
> Kernel panic - not syncing:  Attempted to kill init!
> [drm:radeonfb_panic] : ERROR:  panic occurred, switching back to text console.
>
> I started in level 3 and this is the message that I see.  The caps lock and scroll lock lights in the keyboard are flashing at me also.  I will try to login to level 3 under a previous kernel and see if I can boot and report back.

That's got nothing to do with your graphics card. The system's stuffed.
Likely the RAM or hard disk. But something's dead (or just loose).

BTW, FWIW, I always find the output of plain lspci about as useful as a
chocolate teapot. What I want to know is the PCI ID, and it doesn't give
you that. "lspci -nn" does, though. I don't know if the X maintainers
prefer that output or if they're able to work with just plain lspci...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey