Flash instructions updated

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 22 00:12:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:09:18AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 13:25 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
> > Based on the recent conversations on this list, I have updated:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash
> >
> > If you use these instructions and they fail or you can otherwise tell
> > they are incorrect, please either fix them directly on the wiki or let
> > me know and I will fix them.
> >
> > Hopefully this page can become a canonical, well-known resource so we
> > aren't answering this question a million times.
>
> As the page is generically named, and Fedora is a project with a strong
> emphasis on F/OSS, I would suggest the page should more prominently
> discuss and advocate F/OSS alternatives (gnash and swfdec) and position
> the Adobe plugin as a fallback for cases where those solutions are not
> sufficient. Also, it should refer more specifically to the Adobe plugin
> when saying things like "Flash is Non-Free Software". WDYT?

I added a top-side admonition, taking the text directly from our
existing [[ForbiddenItems]] page.  We should maintain equivalency
between those pages.  (I would have liked to transclude just that
section, but didn't know how.)

Because, at least, (1) the use of Adobe's plugin is not illegal
anywhere to our knowledge, and (2) the use of Adobe's software
repository does not, as far as we know, present problems of potential
contributory infringement, this page is permissible.  I agree we need
an admonition to clarify this is an *alternative* to FOSS, not a
method of first resort for people who care about software freedom.