httpd Doesn't Seem To Work In Fedora 11

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat May 23 22:02:04 UTC 2009

(Noting Johann's encouragement to find the appropriate newsgroup/
mailing list, ...)

On May 24, 2009, at 4:47 AM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

>>> Thank you, I get the impression that httpd is listening on port
>>> 443 but not port 80 and that is the problem:
>>
>> 443 is https port, so this is most probably your configuration
>> problem.
>>

> The issue seems to involve how I have my DNS and dhcpd set up. I
> use dhcp to assign specific ip addresses to specific host names.

statically or dynamically?

If statically, for small networks I usually just use the /etc/hosts
file. Well, that, and remember to set the netmasks to include a
region (or regions) that I'm not letting dhcp allocate automatically.

Some day I want to learn how to set bind up and use no man's lands
and all that to have internal hosts feeding out to the wide world,
but I don't have the money to buy (err, rent) the global IP
addresses, and I have other priorities on my time than learning dns.

> However I'm not doing a very good job of it with my laptop. I don't
> know how to get the same IP address (192.168.1.46) assigned to both
> my wired and wireless network adapters (which have different MAC
> addresses of course), so that regardless of which adapter I am
> using at the moment, I can get httpd to work.
>
> If I code this in httpd.conf:

I don't recall having a magical tool to coordinate the settings for
dhcpd, httpd, and bind in the fedora distribution. Would be nice,
although it would tend to help newbs like myself spam the wide world
a bit.