StockBugzillaResponses updated, nVidia question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 28 16:35:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 09:31 +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:

> > There doesn't seem to be a good page with step-by-step instructions for
> > F9 or F10 conversion, so I was vague.  Probably this will become less of
> > an issue as those versions are EOL'd anyway.
>
> I hope upgrade from F9/F10 should work automagically.

To be precise, if you have no xorg.conf, F11 will use nouveau
automatically, assuming it's installed, which I think it should be
(Matej, it was installed by default on previous releases, right - just
not *used* by default?) If you have an xorg.conf remaining from a
previous release which specifies a particular driver (nvidia or nv),
that driver will continue to be used, F11 won't magically override your
xorg.conf.

> Much more interesting than how to install -{nv,nouveau} is how to get rid
> of -nvidia goo which stays on the disk (unless rpm from The Repository
> Which Shall Not Be Named is used, which quite often isn't). Mike Harris
> my esteemed predecessor in Xorg bug triaging wrote a long piece on this
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/3rd_Party_Video_Drivers (which
> somebody cleaned up recently for English; thank you!).

I'm going to amend that slightly to explain *how* to uninstall
proprietary drivers, and try and explain in a roundabout way that it's
OK if you use TRWSNBN).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey