Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 02:31:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 00:31 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> It's not a "perhaps do something stupid": As far as I can tell
> reliably dies every time during the update and the session saving
> function fails to do its job.  Everything the user was working on in
> Firefox is lost.

This is not what happens to me. What happens to me is that Firefox
continues to run but the search box doesn't work any more.

Perhaps people should recognize that everyone experiences slightly
different behaviour in this particular scenario, and that everyone uses
their systems differently, and stop extrapolating from their own
experience and assume that it's perfectly fine to kill off every running
firefox instance on a system when the package is updated. Because that's
not something you just do on the 'hmm, well, it feels like it'd work for
me' basis.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey