nano and Fedora 12 LiveCD

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 20 18:37:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 06:14:09 -0800,
  "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> writes:
> > On 11/19/2009 06:08 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >> Personally I think we should have stopped supporting optical media some
> >> time ago and target only usb sticks 1 GiB+  but hey that's just me..
> > It isn't just you. That's the plan for Fedora 13, reading the recent
> > fedora-desktop list discussions.
>
> That sounds like a wonderful idea.  I'd love to have an easier way to
> save site-wide customizations to the original install media.

Note that images greater than 4 GiB (which is less than what fits on a DVD
by a few hundred MiB) are still a problem. People using FAT for a file system
have a maximum file size of 4 GiB. So providing larger images for download is
going to give some people problems.

This topic was discussed in the Spins SIG about a year ago and the outcome
was that official spin images need to remain under 4 GiB. (Though
livecd-creator got changed to allow bigger ones for custom ones by using
a different format (udf) for the iso image.)