X server Resolution Catch-22 Fedora 12

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Sun Nov 22 22:30:49 UTC 2009

I have been using a 1993 Viewsonic 21 monitor for
the console on the omen.com server.  The old jug
isn't as sharp as it once was, but it still can do 1024x768
or better.

Upon installing Fedora 12, I discovered that there in
no longer a reasonable way to set anything higher
than 800x600 with Xvesa or the default driver for
Nvidia.  This is a major breakage as many applets are
unusable at 800x600, including system management.
Some of the menu is off the screen and there is no
apparent way to get them to appear on screen.

If utilities are unusable in 800x600
the ability to manually set larger screen size
that was present before Fedora 12 needs to be
fixed.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665