increasing grub timeout?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 25 00:16:45 UTC 2009

Scott Robbins wrote:

>> I know all that, but several times in the past 24 hours I've found
>> myself booting the wrong thing.
>>
>> Increasing _to_ three seconds? Ten is nearer the mark, I think.
>> Especially for those of us playing with virtual machines and windows
>> popping up and going away
>

> I figure 3 seconds as a compromise.  :)  Yes, I had forgotten about how
> many VMs, especially ESX (as opposed to ESXi) won't work with that--for
> those who run ESX in an enterprise, you have probably experienced the
> console not really showing anything or accepting keystrokes till the
> progress bar begins to show.
>

>> Too much bling at the expense of function, I say.
>
> That's the argument we should avoid in this case, IMVHO.  (V for very).
> I've just resigned myself to the fact that the desktop oriented
> distributions all want to head that way and that it seem to be
> what the majority of users desire.

I support Linux, OS X and Windows. if there's a problem booting, I need
the messages the user can't see.

Bling at the expense of function is exactly the term. A pretty face is
all well and good as far as it goes. That's not far, on systems I
manage. If The Boss has a problem booting his lappy (he runs OS X but
never mind ...), there is some prospect I can fix the problem by phone
if the relevant messages are on his screen.

> At any rate, it's easy enough to change once one can make that first
> boot.  In this case, I'm talking about the situations where the user
> *must* add something to the grub line in order to boot.  Otherwise, if
> they aren't aware of how to edit before the first reboot,
> some of them wind up having to boot with a rescue CD and fix it that
> way.  Yes, it can be edited before that first reboot, but with a target
> audience of desktop user, a relative few will look at the release notes
> or know how to do it, especially with the first installation of a new
> system.

Let me guess:
Always, "Oh, how pretty!"
Never
"What happened to all those system messages? Doesn't linux tell us
what's happening any more?"

My wife, a kindergarten teacher, has never complained about those messages.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait