Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 21:49:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:37 -0600, Jim Haynes wrote:

> I've been assuming there was a problem using SATA disks, with them not
> showing up in Anaconda, until someone told me about the dregs of a
> dmraid array on disk causing Anaconda not to show it, and using the
> nodmraid boot option to get around it.  I never would have guessed...

This is intentional behaviour on the part of the installer and is
documented, I believe. Hence there's not much more QA can do about this.

> I've learned it is necessary to install foomatic-db to have my particular
> printer show up in system->administration->printing

This has been documented in common bugs, but it does seem like something
we ought to have caught - thanks for bringing it up. Perhaps we need
more testing of common basic peripherals like printers.

> I've learned it is necessary to install control-center-extra to get
> system->preferences->windows.

This is an intentional change on the part of the desktop team and is
documented in the release notes, so no QA action possible here.

> I've learned that checking dialup networking support at software
> customization time fails to install kudzu, which is necessary for
> system->administration->network to creat a dialup connection.
> Believe somebody is working on this to either make kudzu unnecessary
> or to have it installed when dialup networking support is checked.

Well, this has been reported, but the correct method here is to use
NetworkManager rather than system-config-network to set up the dial-up
connection, I believe. It's something that's pretty niche for QA to have
caught (you need to be using dial-up *and* use s-c-n rather than
NetworkManager).

> I had the problem setting display resolution, but I had already been
> through that in F11 and had developed an xorg.conf that I could carry
> over and make it work.  I don't know if this means something is broken
> in X so it can't read the information from the monitor, or if something
> is broken in the monitor or in the display hardware.
> system->preferences->display says the monitor is unknown.

Can't tell without more data - file a bug report with the appropriate
info as described in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems . We have a
good process for filing bugs, good documentation of how to file them
(see link :>) and a decent triage process for handling these once
they're filed, so I think no further QA action is needed here.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey