Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 14:02:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 23:12 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/25/2009 09:54 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> >> I'd say the main problem with preupgrade testing is that, given the
> >> fairly limited resources QA has, it's rather hard for us to recreate the
> >> infinite configurations people in the real world will try to run
> >> preupgrade on. It's inherently a nightmare of complexity. We can
> >> certainly try and do _better_ testing than we currently do, though.
> >>
> > Sure you can't hope to test a full matrix, but that is just as much the
> > case for anaconda... yet the anaconda test matrix looks a lot more
> > complete than the upgrade one. Anyway, I don't want to make it sound
> > like the upgrade situation is mainly a QA problem - it is
> > first-and-foremost a maintainership problem; we must get out of the
> > situation that one of the two main avenues to the next release is wwoods
> > weekend project - of course, the other one being the unloved stepchild
> > of the installer team is not exactly perfect either...
> >

> FEI we are already improving preupgrade's QA process (
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/ticket/30  )
>
> Afaik we dont official support upgrading between releases hence i'm not
> sure how high on the priority list upgrading is with Will and Team
> Anaconda and now "to shock you all" even with us...

I thought that it wasn't official also, but this method has been added
to the installation guide for F-12 (see
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/ch17s02.html).

> If we have started to official support upgrading between release then we
> have to make dam sure user customization/configuration do not get
> overwritten and or lost in the process which means for example for the
> Gnome desktop spin no more "gconftool-2 --type int --set" workarounds
> for users to get their "old" behavior back.
>
> How many backwards compatibility test cases have we receive from
> maintainers? ( afaik 0 )
>
> How well have they informed us or the support team if a changes they
> have made breaks current behavior and or is backward incompatible heck
> hell do they even bother to inform us or the support team at all?
>
> 200 MiB boot partition used to be enough during preupgrades and I
> suspect the new initramfs might be the reason why it needs to be
> increased and I'm pretty sure Will and Team Anaconda gladly take any
> help they can get on improving preupgrading between releases.

Should I add a general "could have been better" item for improved
communication between maintainers and QA?  Does that accurately capture
your thoughts here?

Thanks,
James