May I safely execute yum-complete-transaction?

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:22:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 22:01, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a power shortage while I ran "yum update". After booting up, yum
> told me to run yum-complete-transaction.
>
> However yum-complete-transaction reported (see attachement), it would:
> Install       7 Package(s)
> Upgrade     205 Package(s)
> Remove      209 Package(s)
>
> So I canceld, afraid of having a lot of stiff accidentially removed.
>
> Is it safe to let yum-complete-transaction continue?

The packages listed as to be removed are the old packages you are updating
from so yes they are safe to remove. Updating consists of installing the new
and updated packages (often shown during the transaction as updating or
installing) and then the old version is removed (normally shown as cleanup
during transactions) so install and upgrade are the packages being installed
and updated. Remove is the old packages being cleaned up. Hope that makes it
clear.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and
those who don't...